birthdays and anniversaries




Today is memorable morsels’ first birthday. It’s the anniversary of my first blog post. It’s a one year milestone of my decision to share my stories, adventures, and food memories.

We tend to like extremes and superlatives: the most, the longest, the best. I do too. Yet at times what is important to me are the small things that appear insignificant to others. A smile from a stranger on a sad day, a thank you from a child, the sound of silence in nature, or the taste and texture of a fresh ripe piece of fruit at its peak. I savor a bite, letting the myriad of flavors hit all the right spots in my mouth and create a memory in my cells. These delightful morsels are memorable and the experiences that go with them make them even more so.

A couple of years ago Hayes Valley’s Absinthe Restaurant celebrated its 10th anniversary by putting back 1998 prices on their menu for a while. It was such a treat and a great way to remember how it felt to go back in time. The restaurant wanted to celebrate its success and reward its patrons and I still remember how good that steak and hamburger with 1998 prices tasted.

I spent last weekend with my “American Parents” who have been a huge part of my life since I met them when I was ten years old. We went to Bethlehem, PA for a visit and were treated to plenty of great food from fluffy omelettes of breakfast sausage and green apples to the most traditional “Philly” cheesesteaks. Artisanal mango vodka on the rocks and homemade hamburgers coupled with the love of family sitting around the table sharing stories have never tasted so good. I remembered sitting at the very same table at their daughter's house many years ago for Thanksgiving, playing games with their grandchildren who had nicknamed me “Mary-Mom”. I felt part of the family then as I do now.

On our last morning we went to Pipersville Inn for a birthday lunch. Driving through country roads we passed Springtown, PA where I spent my first year in the US. The general store and dairy where I paid a quarter for a cone of fresh creamy ice cream were gone but the small little post office and old gas station were still there. I still remember how unique my first coca cola out of a can tasted there. Growing up we drank soda that was sold in glass bottles. I had never seen a coke can, let alone a coin-operated vending machine at a gas station. It was at this gas station in Springtown that we pulled over and cracked open an ice cold can on a super hot summer day. Ahhh!

On Sunday, the country roads led us from one small quaint town to another. In the old days these inns with restaurants popped at every major town entrance to provide lodging and food for the passengers traveling by coach. Our fancy Betsy from the 21st century with air conditioning was a much more comfortable ride for the lunchtime road trip on this hot day. Last year Pipersville Inn had brought back their 75-cent martinis on the menu to celebrate their anniversary, much like the Absinthe anniversary back home. The promotion was so successful that the drink special was still on the menu. We toasted with our 75-cent martinis to celebrate a family birthday and get together, and drove back home down a winding country road along the Delaware River. Needless to say, this was the most memorable martini I've ever tasted.

I had the most amazing and precious weekend. Every little detail was significant to me. Having the love of such a wonderful family who has embraced and welcomed me into their hearts and homes for the last 30 years is the biggest most special gift ever. There aren’t enough superlatives for me to express my gratitude and love for the wonderful memories we have shared over the years.

Comments

0 Responses to "
birthdays and anniversaries"

Post a Comment

Find It

To search, type and hit enter..

Recent Morsels

Definition

mor·sel(môrsl)
noun
from the French word "morceau"
1. A small piece of food.
2. A tasty delicacy; a tidbit.
3. One that is delightful and extremely pleasing.

Recent Comments